Gardening Club is a club open to Junior children every Tuesday after school until 4.00. Our aims are to have fun while learning about gardening. We work hard to do this by developing the piece of land as you come through the school gates (by the blue shed), as well as the infant yard areas. We enjoy creating a pleasant environment making our school a welcoming place for everyone who visits the school.
At Gardening Club we work hard to raise money to pay for equipment and plants by:
- taking part in the Morrisons Let's Grow voucher scheme. We have collected enough vouchers to purchase garden spades and forks, watering cans, a composter and a water butt, amongst other things.
- requesting a small voluntary contribution from the children attending the club each term.
- FOUPS support - letting the children run a plant stall at the summer fete.
- having a very generous group of friends who willingly donate plants for us to sell every year.
- donations from Caldicot U3A.
- FOUPS - supporting us by purchasing the arbour by the front gates.
- Mr Gunn kindly donating money from the school funds to purchase our shed.
- competing in competitions - see below.
We are fortunate to receive donations but this money helps us to fund the more expensive items. Some of the projects we have completed are: making a sensory pathway/garden outside the side of nursery - our fund raising allowed us to purchase the solid wood planters which we planted up with a variety of plants to make the pathway a more interesting experience; We were also able to buy materials for making raised beds. We currently have a herb garden, strawberry plants and leeks growing; Our fund raising has also allowed us to donate a tree to the school from our gardening club to commemorate the school grounds 25th anniversary; We have also used this money to develop the garden in front of Nursery into a Little Welsh Garden.
We are always trying to re-use and recycle things for our garden too. We have used old tyres to make the planter that stands in the front of nursery.
This term we have have got a lot of tidying up to do
Gardening Club will start on Tuesday 13th September. There are a limited amount of places in the club. Letters have already been sent out to inform children if they have been successful in gaining a place. We have a waiting list and will let children know as and when places become available.
The club has been very successful winning GAVO's Best Kept Village School competition in 2012, 2014 and again this year for 2016.
We are currently working on raising funds and making plans to develop the memorial garden for Mrs Floyd.