Friday 24th January '20
What a fun and interesting week we have had in nursery. This week the children have been involved in lots of exciting activities:
- introducing the story of Chinese New Year and how the years became named after the different animals. Did you know this year is the year of the rat?
- making Chinese New Year lucky money envelopes. The children had a go at mark making chinese writing.
- making a large dragon for our PE lesson next week. We have been watching videos of dragon dancing ready for next week.
- role playing a Chinese take away in our 1p shop.
- experimenting with bubbles outside in the frost. We managed to partially freeze a few. It was lots of fun and we will try again when the weather is frosty enough. You never know, we may even be lucky enough to try in snow!
- practicing writing our sounds in coloured rice! The children have had lots of fun transporting the rice to the sand tray as well as using it for sprinkles inthe mud kitchen!
- taking part in races like the animals in Chinese New Year. We had special cards to show us which animal came 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the races.
- Listening to several stories related to Chinese New Year such as Chopsticks.
Next week the children will be taking part in food tasting for Chinese New Year.
Please let us know if your child suffers from any allergies that we are not already aware of.
On Thursday we took part in immersion day for the school topic Cymru Cyffrous (exciting Wales). The children took part in:
- dancing to Welsh music (see our Twitter feed).
- making Bara Brith. Even Mrs Morgan and Miss Edmunds tried some.
- role-playing with our knights in the castle.
- modelling welsh cakes in our yellow playdough.
Just a reminder that key worker groups have changed from last term. The groups are displayed in the self-registration area (see a member of staff if you are unsure where this is). This will also impact on the day your child will bring home their Book Club book. Each week Book Club days are:
Tuesday – Mrs Somersall’s group
Wednesday – Mrs Foster’s group
Thursday – Mrs Davies’ group
Please return books on the days above so that new ones can be sent home. This will also help to make sure that we have enough books for all of the children too.
Just a reminder that we will continue to do PE on a Monday and Forest School on a Friday. Please send your child to school in jogging bottoms and trainers for PE. School uniform can be worn on top. It would be really helpful if your child could come to Nursery dressed according to the weather for Forest School. If they are in wrap-around care, just pop their wellies and waterproofs in a bag and we'll change them when they arrive. You may wish to send in spare clothes and footwear should the children need changing on return from Forest School.
We would like to invite you to Stay and Play sessions throughout the year. These sessions are a drop in session where you can stay as long as you wish for that session. We will try and hold these on different days of the week to try and accommodate working parents. Our next Stay and Play session will be held on Wednesday 5th February. Our other Stay and Play session, for this term, will be held on Tuesday 31st March at Magor Marsh. For Health and Safety reasons, each child will need to be accompanied by an adult. There will be no session in Nursery on this day. A letter will be sent out shortly to provide you with more information. Please join us if you can. To help us reduce waste and keep the children safe, don't forget to bring a flask cup if you'd like to have a tea or coffee.
Thank you for all of the lovely messages that you continue to send in for your child’s Learning Journeys. We have added them to their books. Don’t forget to take more forms as you need them; they are outside Nursery, please help yourself. If you haven’t had chance to compete them yet, just send them in when you can. It’s a lovely way to be part of your child’s journey with us.
Thank you for your support
The Nursery team